At Fellowship Greenville, there are seven core values we believe Jesus modeled for us to show us how to live as his disciples. As these values become part of who we are, people are introduced to a life with Jesus while being called to belong in community and serve others with no expectation of return.
- Seeking our highest happiness in him alone in and through all things (Mark 12:26, 28-31). Short-lived pleasure in temporal gifts is not how God intended our happiness to work. He hardwired us to value him first, regardless of our circumstances. The more we express gratitude for his love, willingly participate in worship, regularly spend time with him, and cling to his hope in hard times, the more we can find eternal joy.
- Caring for people with no expectation of return by putting their needs above ours (John 13:34-35, Mark 12:28, 31, Ephesians 4:32, 5:2). If we are freely committed to living in a community where others’ needs are more important than our own, we will truly taste of Christ’s unconditional love.
- Allowing the entirety of God’s Word to shape our thinking and transform how we approach day-to-day life (Luke 24:13-49, John 5:39-40). Because we have already been perfectly loved by God in Jesus, we want to know and obey the truth of God’s Word in response to his love. Even if the Bible doesn't answer every question the way we want, it speaks so clearly about God's goodness, our condition, and his promises that we must continually ask, "What does the Bible say about this?"
Depending on the Spirit
- Attempting to listen for and be sensitive to the guidance of the Holy Spirit in our lives (Jeremiah 31:31-33, Ezekiel 36:26-27, Luke 4:18-19, Acts 2:1-4, 2:38-39). This kind of dependence on the Spirit that Jesus modeled might be reflected in faithful prayer, spiritual gift(s), fruit of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control), helping other Christians in their struggle with sin, listening for what he may be speaking to your heart, and even singing with other believers.
- Humbly striving for consistency between what we believe and how we live it (John 8:28-29, Luke 6:46-49, Isaiah 5:20-23). God’s design for us is to be whole, unbroken, and complete, but because of sin, this is only possible as we grow to trust, pursue, and reflect Jesus. People living in integrity seek to demonstrate coherence between what they think and how they live, through genuine transparency with others, honest accountability, and a private life that lines up with public reputation.
- Making a big deal of the undeserved love, kindness, and compassion of God, especially in what he has done through Jesus (John 1:14 & 16-17, Luke 18:35, Luke 19:1-10). To obtain a gift of infinite worth and not tell others of its value belittles the Giver of that gift. Thus, our walking in the gift of God’s grace entails extending that grace to others.
Advancing the Gospel
- Furthering God’s mission and agenda for the world by announcing and applying what he has done in Jesus (Psalm 51:1-19, Acts 20:24-32, Romans 3:19-26, Ephesians 1:3-14). As the Church, we are to partner with God to preach the good news of the kingdom to each other, ourselves, those who don’t know Jesus, and those who have never heard about the life and salvation available in him.
So the question is… how do we live out each of these values in our own lives, with our friends and family, and in our daily interactions? The more we spend time with Jesus, the more we begin to see these values expressed in our own lives. Valuing the life Jesus modeled before us is essential to the Christian life. If we are to passionately pursue life and mission with him, we’ll start to follow the example he set for us. Three times a year, we’ll unpack what this means for us as a church through
a variety of classes related to our Core Values.
Attending Values is more than just hearing more about what we believe as a church. It’s an equipping resource where we dig deeper into what makes up our core beliefs as a church while providing more time to unpack each of our seven core values in a communal setting.
Values is held right here on campus and meet on three consecutive Sundays at 11 am during our second service.
We offer several throughout the year, so look for upcoming classes and sign up for the next round by heading to fellowshipgreenville.org/valuesclasses. You can also watch our Core Values series here.
*We are a church located in Greenville, South Carolina. Our vision is to see God transform us into a community of grace passionately pursuing life and mission with Jesus.*
Connect With Us